Monday, June 13, 2011

Life throws you curve balls.

Well, today Is June 12th so that only means two things… SPAIN & MY 20TH BIRTHDAY!!!

So I thought when I woke up this morning that I was going to have this incredible day being my birthday and all but life threw me a curve ball and I ended up sick. Once again I woke up at about 6:40 am so that I could get ready to go to church with my grandfather and dad by 8:15. I HATE mornings so call me crazy for getting up that early because usually that never happens.  I had a long day ahead of me so church was definitely the perfect way to begin- just a nice long talk with God, and the presence of my daddy and grandfather, that’s all I needed. Come to realize I was freezing the whole time with chills in church and aches and pains in my joints and down my spine and all over my back when we got home. Growing up with two brothers I’ve never been a sissy about stupid stuff and being the stubborn person I am I decided that I was just gonna stick it out, repack my stuff, get ready for the day, and that hopefully it would go away. THAT WAS A JOKE. I’ve been completely miserable from that point and it all started with a simple headache. Thankfully I got all my materials for Spain packed and had just enough time to lay down for an hour before leaving for the airport. It sucks so bad. I’ve probably cried 8 times today because I feel like the flu hit me and ran back over me again and again- high fever and all. Justttt great. EXACTLY what I needed and wanted for today and ITS MY BIRTHDAY, that’s the worst part. This one definitely goes down in history as the worst birthday ever, although I guess going to Spain counts for something.

Arrived at the airport with daddy and got everything taken care of for a successful trip abroad, got through customs and to the gate in good timing, and finally met up with Candra. Bought a really big water- what’s new, blue Gatorade, and a pack of gum. Boarded the huge 767- or so I think that’s what it was but I’m probably wrong considering I don’t know that much about planes- successfully stored away our luggage on top and got ready for the 9 hour and 30 some odd minute flight. Was served a dinner and breakfast, which looked like hospital food but actually tasted decent, and drank plenty of orange juice and water. I think more than half the people on that plane thought I had a bathroom problem because going about 10 times on a 9 hour flight is unusual right? Or so they thought but I could care less, I needed to be constantly drinking fluids so I did haha. Sidenote- always be careful where you choose your seats because you don’t want to get stuck behind a guy that has some serious gas issues like we did- straight nasty. 

Finally landed in Madrid and still didn’t believe we were actually in a foreign country but was more than happy to get off that plane. Found our luggage, found the store away, and had to buy two tokens because I would accidently lock the locker before it was actually shut- stupid. People without doubt know that we’re Americans, no matter how we try to hide it. Took a cab to our hostel because there was absolutely no way we were gonna make it on foot and ended up costing us like 30 euros! Ridiculous. Once we were actually in our hostel, we could now relax and get ready to go explore around the city a little bit. Had an interesting lunch at a place called Café Te and a nice dinner at the whopping KFC. Yeah yeah its American but it was getting late and we wanted to get something quick so we did, chicken strips it was. Our hostel guy is extremely nice and we can actually communicate with him in Spanish for the most part. Made us coffee with a variety of crackers and breads when we got in. I’m already in love with SIESTA- they weren’t joking when they taught us in class that everything closes down and everyone gets off work to eat lunch and take a nap before going back to work. It’s AWESOME.
 
Everything here is so pretty. It reminds Candra and I of New York but just the Spanish version. It’s been one heck of a long day including sickness and all so sleep is probably something I should look into at this point. Planning on hitting up the pharmacy for some antibiotics tomorrow because I’m almost 90% sure I have strep- not to stress anyone out and mom if you’re reading this I promise I’ll be okay- don’t stress. Oh and by the way it’s the 13th here soooo kinda didn’t get a full birthday BUT we’re planning on having a nice dinner and what not as soon as I feel better so I guess that’s okay as well haha. Life throws you all sorts of curve balls and this is just one- in any and every case trusting that everything’s going to be alright is what helps the most and taking one step at a time to figure out the best way to solve the problem is smart. Stressing isn’t healthy, so there’s no point to it. It is what it is so now it’s taking the right measures to get better! For everyday is a blessing whether good or bad happens.


The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment