Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Terrific Tuesday.

Woke up to the noise of construction outside our window- and I mean loud construction. What a terrific Tuesday it already is- it will get better though I just hate the mornings and especially hate getting woken up by construction- its always something or has always been something on this trip- EVERY DAY. Our friend Joe- who was in the Hostel with us left today so a whole new crew is about to come in for tonight- this should be interesting. Oh and on a side note: Spaniards definitely don’t eat breakfast like we do- they say “free breakfast” in the hostels but then you get up to go get it and it’s like these weird cookie things and milk- not exactly my kind of breakfast.

Started the daily somewhat of a routine again with washing my face and brushing my teeth- I’m getting low on face wash though and THAT, THAT RIGHT THERE is not good at all. Looks like I might be playing connect the dots with myself if I don’t get some more real soon- two days til I get my luggage from the airport- if I can just make it two I’ll be golden. By the time the morning washing face/brushing teeth rituals were over it was well lunchtime. Long curly hair, don’t care- white shorts and a black tee- I was off to find me some lunch before we hit up the Barcelona bus tour!

I couldn’t exactly tell you where we ate lunch because there’s been so many places so far that they all start to run together but I can almost guarantee you it was somewhere with chicken or pasta. Lunch was decent I do remember that- and we got our workout in because finding the Barcelona bus tour activation booth was nowhere close to easy. A long day of touring the city was ahead and we couldn’t have been more excited. Only one problem- it was hotter than hell outside and we definitely got our fair share of sun on that bus, but it was totally worth being a “slight problem”.

If I could write all the details down there would be SO many. OHHH MYYY GAHDDD this was seriously the best investment I’ve put my money into all trip. Barcelona has SO much to see. The architecture here is absolutely breath taking. There’s so so so much everywhere, so many buildings, parks, cathedrals, monuments, statues, palaces, on and on. You buy this bus pass and you can get on and off of these tour buses throughout the day to see all the neat stuff if you wanted to. There’s 3 different routes and they take about 2.5 hours each to go around. It’s an all day kind of thing- Candra and I got on the bus at 2 and we didn’t get off until 845pm.

Two words:

Antoni Gaudí.

This man was straight genius. You may have heard about him before but if not he basically was a huge influence to the city of Barcelona today. He designed and created a surplus of buildings that are still standing. GENIUS. If you’re ever in Barcelona you have to go see the cathedral and visit his park, you will be blown away. Candra and I had the chance to stop by the cathedral- Sagrada Família- and the park- Park Güell- today. My camera died so thank goodness Candra had just enough juice left in hers to get some of the park pictures! The cathedral is one of the most visited places in Spain- and I had the chance to go inside it and even say a prayer- talk about a memorable moment. Every inch of that cathedral in inscribed with some kind of art in the walls or ceiling even floor- so much Catholicism to it its unbelievable- straight genius is the only way to describe it. And if that doesn’t make you love your faith all the more then I don’t know what does because that is full of God’s word- incredible.
Stopped by hard rock café for dinner after finally getting off that bus route- that was after we almost missed the bus to get home- we would. Ate a niceeeeee Texas BBQ burger, which brought a little bit of home to my mouth. It’s not exactly Spanish but it was there and we were hungry so we said whatever and stopped in. Candra and I were waiting in line just like everyone else for a seat outside when all of the sudden these two men just out of nowhere sit down at a table. The waitress I guess saw the look on our faces- whatever that look was- and made sure to let them know. After about 5 minutes of them being disrespectful to her, they get up and left. Kind of work out nicely because then the guy in front of us got seated there, and right after him not even 30 seconds later we got seated- YES.

Dinner was delicious and sorbet was even better on the way home. Once the destination of our hostel was reached, we hopped in the shower and got ready to meet some new people. You can always tell who speaks English and who doesn’t because when you walk down the street and people are handing out flyers –people as in they talk English- they spot you out like no other and give you this sort of respect that is just known- I don’t really know how to explain it but it makes sense, hopefully. Hung out with plenty of English speaking people tonight and made so many more new friends! Ended up going to Boulevard- which is a nice club- and danced the night away American style with Candra. Let me just tell you though- those short stack creeps- yeah the ones from the beach club last night- those creeps somehow someway ended up being at the same freaking place as us tonight. And what happened this time? They decided it would be a good idea to grab Candra again and pick her up this time and try to kiss her. I kept my cool- obviously- but I DID NOT like that and Candra will be the first to tell you haha. Needless to say- they got a few words out of me and Candra’s heart dropped for them haha I just thought it was funny that she would be scared for them. Looking back, its pretty hilarious- after their creepy selves left we got in a good laugh.

Met Arturo and Marc tonight as well. Arturo is from Guatemala but lives and studies in Barcelona- his brother actually studies in the states though- I thought that was pretty neat. Marc is our CRAZY FUNNY Canadian/Spaniard friend that is over in Spain for the summer visiting family and I think for water polo but is staying with Arturo in Barcelona for a couple of days. They went to school a couple years ago together and met because they were both athletes. Anyways long story short- we all had fun dancing together- but I’ve seriously got to learn how to dance Spanish style like salsa and flamenco and what not because I’m not exactly good at that yet haha.

After a long night and day for that matter I am finally going to sleep. Not sure what tomorrow is going to bring but it’s our last night in BARCELONA so it’s a must to make the most of it!

Life is without meaning. 
You bring the meaning to it. 
The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. 
Being alive is the meaning.
- Joseph Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment